Bacon & Eggs
A classic with a twist! Here is Helen's Shakshuka style baked bacon and eggs.
Our YouTube channel is here.
- 8 free range or organic eggs
- 200g bacon, diced
- 500g cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green capsicum, finely diced
- 1/4 cup parsley or oregano leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- Few dashes of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons extran virgin olive oil
- Pinch of sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celsius
2. Place the oil in a medium sized frypan and heat over a medium-high heat. Add the onion, capsicum and bacon and saute until the onion becomes translucent. Add the herbs and saute for a further minute.
3. Add the cherry tomatoes, sugar, salt, pepper and cinnamon and stir to further crush the tomatoes. Add a little water and allow the mixture to come to a boil. Turn the heat down and allow the salsa to bubble away for a few minutes until thick.
4. Carefully divide the salsa into four small ovenproof dishes. Make two wells in each of the dishes and carefully crack the eggs into a bowl, one at a time, and slowly slide the eggs into the wells. Bake for 8-9 minutes or until the egg white has set.
5. Serve immediately, accompanied by crusty bread.